Well as promised I tried a new technique called “faux leather”. Instead of stamping your image (or sentiment as I attempted on my card) on paper, you stamp on a piece of “fun foam” which you can find at any craft store. First I will show you my card and then explain the technique to you and what didn’t work exactly as it should have on my card.
- You will cut a piece of the fun foam larger than you need when you will be cutting it out with a framelit (larger because it shrinks during the technique process).
- Pre-ink the stamp you plan on using (rubber stamps that are closely trimmed will get the best results).
- With a heat tool heat the piece of fun foam on both sides until the edges begin to curl.
- While the piece of fun foam is still warm stamp your image and press down extremely hard so that the stamp will create an impression down into the fun foam in addition to transferring the ink.
- Set the stamp image aside to allow ink to dry. Depending on what type of ink you used, this could take several hours or more. Allow ink to dry completely before you attempt to cut the stamped fun foam with a framelit, otherwise the ink will smear and transfer to your cutting plates.
Ok, now what is wrong with my card? (1) My rubber stamp was not closely trimmed and as such the “halo” around the stamp prevent me from getting an impression of the “Deck the Halls” down into the fun foam. (2) Others who have created faux leather pieces have sponged the foam piece to age it; however, even though I stamped mine on Saturday in Early Espresso ink, it is still not completely dry (it will transfer to my finger when touched). So I carefully sponged the edges only. I would suggest using an archival ink and test it with a finger tap after allowing to dry for an hour or so. I’m not sure if spraying it with an acrylic spray (or aerosol hair spray) would help set the ink, but I may try this and if it helps I will update this post.
Here are the Stampin’ Up! products that I used in the design of this card, which can quickly be added to your shopping cart by clicking on the thumbnails below:
If you have any other questions regarding the design elements of this card, do not hesitate to ask.
Online Extravaganza is Underway!!!
Save 20% on these stamps sets on Monday, November 20, 2018 until 11:59 PM (MT).
Save 10% off the following products through November 26, 2017 until 11:59 PM (MT):
Save 20-30% off the following products through November 26, 2017 until 11:59 PM (MT):
Save 40% off the following products through November 26, 2017 until 11:59 PM (MT):
Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you leave here inspired to put stamp to ink to paper. Until next time, stamp on my friends.